Monday, January 3, 2011

127 Hours


My Monday night ritual of noodles and a $5 movie with my friend Jenny has not only become entertaining, but rather educating. This week we intended on seeing Black Swan. But as it always happens, it sold out right when we approached the ticket counter. We were left to see 127 Hours or to walk home in shame. "We should have eaten those damn noodles faster!" With our heads held high we dismissed the latter and headed into the theater. What's better than James Franco for two hours anyway? I guess Ryan Gosling for two hours, but I digress...

The movie wasn't quite like I had expected, but it was excellent. I would describe it as a mix of "Into the Wild" meets "Requiem for a Dream" with a touch of "Silence of the Lambs." Weird, I know. But the sheer thought of this movie being a true story made me quiver in my NorthFace (literally... I was wearing my NorthFace jacket. How festive am I?!). It was incredible how this man could have kept himself alive for as long as he did. A true outdoors-man indeed.

What I liked: I loved how interesting the cinematography was. The movie made you feel like you were down in a crevice in the middle of nowhere with this poor man, understanding all of his hallucinations and sharing every let down and triumph along the way. I also liked that I have the same exact Nalgene bottle as he had in the movie. Stay classy.

What I didn't like: The close up of the ants crawling all over him. Ick. I almost gagged a few times at parts that I'd rather not speak of.

Kudos to Danny Boyle for writing/directing the movie and making two hours of James Franco sitting next to a rock intriguing. This movie definitely makes James Franco Academy Award-worthy. Two thumbs way up.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

When I explained the arm scene to Josh and Brian, Josh had to leave the room he was so grossed out!