Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Small Town USA


As I map things out thus far, on the cusp of my 26th birthday I believe I will be entering the sixth chapter of my life.

Chapter 1: Kindergarten
Chapter 2: Junior High
Chapter 3: High School
Chapter 4: College
Chapter 5: Oh crap... I'm an adult. Now what?
Chapter 6: Gilroy Bound

Yeah, I said it. I'm moving home. That's right. Gilroy. Garlic-capital-of-the-world, home. No, I didn't lose my job or have some crazy sob story, a stalker, or anything cool. I just wanted to move home. So I am. I missed my friends and family and started resenting the 2 hour drive each way for visits. That's not the way I wanted to live my life. And more importantly I realized that San Luis wasn't making me happy.

People have called me crazy saying that San Luis Obispo is, and I quote, "The happiest place on earth." That's no lie. A few months ago there was even an article posted on Yahoo! about how it was literally named one of the happiest places on earth to live. Don't get me wrong. San Luis is a phenomenal city. But I'd like to see the scientific evidence behind this research. Minimally, I'd like to see the survey questions.

What people don't see when they look at San Luis is the lack of jobs, fair pay, and reasonable living. Not to mention the lack of diversity. I can throw a rock and hit 17 bleached blonds in jean skirts and Cal Poly tanks. That's not to say that I won't miss it here. San Luis Obispo has one of the cutest downtowns I have ever seen, I'm going to yearn daily for a Turkey California from High Street Deli and a Cowboy Cookie, and the wines here are better than anything I've ever tasted.

Additionally, I have San Luis Obispo to thank for my first real full-time jobs, without which I may never have met some of the most amazing and brilliant young people I've had the pleasure of working with. Also, if it weren't for San Luis, I might never have met Ms. Chavez and the whole nightmare-ish crew she calls friends.

Not many people can say that they are moving back in with their parents under good circumstances. But I can. Nothing will make me happier than being surrounded by my great parents, the friends I love, my insane sisters, my even more insane niece and nephew and a boxer that is the most loyal pet I may ever have the pleasure of cuddling with. Gilroy is no San Luis, but these are my roots and this is what I love...

No comments: